Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Hot Brown: A Louisville Legend

I was sitting here contemplating my next topic to write a few words about when my stomach reminded me of an idea I had while on our trip to Louisville. One thing that probably rivals my love of the leaf is my love of food. If you ask me or the lovely wife about any trip we take we always describe our dining experiences first. Our itinerary is usually geared around where we want to eat. The Louisville trip was really no different; we stopped at one of our favorite chain restaurants P.F. Changs for dinner on Friday night. P.F. Chang’s serves some of the best Chinese food I have ever had. We have eaten at their Knoxville, Lexington, and Louisville locations. All were very good but we preferred the Louisville location. The meal was excellent just as expected.

As I mentioned in an earlier post we stayed at historic Brown Hotel, which is home to a dish called The Hot Brown. The Hot Brown is a legendary dish created at the Brown Hotel in the 1920’s. I have to admit, that I had already eaten a number of hot browns at other restaurants and was not really expecting a profound amount of difference in the quality of style. However I do value the historic significance of this being the birthplace of the dish, so I ordered one. I wish I ordered ten, the dish was unbelievably good. Like I said I already had a predetermine idea of what made a great hot brown, and this one blew them all away. The cheese sauce was to die for, the turkey was freshly roasted, and the bacon was perfectly crisp. I quickly decided that I could never eat a Hot Brown from anywhere else ever again. (Unless the lovely wife makes it, she is the best cook in the world.) Louisville has many things to offer a visitor, but I feel that if you are going to be in The Derby City, you owe it to yourself to spend an evening at The Brown Hotel and enjoy a legendary dish, The Hot Brown.

Here is a link to check out for more information on The Hot Brown and the recipe.

http://www.brownhotel.com/dining/hot-brown.html

1 Comentário:

Anonymous said...

I know you said that you wouldn't have a hot brown from anywhere else but I feel compelled to let you know that the new Amon's Sugar Shack offers a hot brown panini on Sundays. I haven't had one therefore I cannot recommend it but their other sandwiches are delicious so by default I feel like this should be as well. My best to the lovely wife.

John B's Cigar Blog ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO